Best of the Road was born from a collaboration between Rand McNally and USA TODAY. The aim is to find and share the most interesting stops along the country’s highways and byways. Reviewers share their favorite small towns, pit stops, restaurants, and other points of interest.
Florida makes the list again and again, with towns, cities, and many fun spots. The Best of the Road is just one more reason to plan a Florida Vacation. We hope you’ll stay in Florida Bed and Breakfasts when you do.
In the running for 2012 Best Small Town in America:
- Apalachicola: “Old Florida” at its best, with historic architecture, friendly people, and tasty food.
- Deland: a patriotic university town with many locally owned shops and restaurants.
- Delray Beach: a sunny, cozy beach town with world class restaurants and shops.
- Gulfport: garners many votes for the good food found in it. There is a great fishing pier and a beautiful historic Waterfront District.
In the running for 2012 Best Places in America:
- Mission San Luis in Tallahassee: a 17th century Spanish Mission and a fantastic 60-acre archaeological park.
- Fort Menendez in St. Augustine: feel what it would have been like to be a Spanish settler around 1585.
- Sharkey’s on the Pier in Venice: yummy food, a fabulous fishing pier, and a Tiki Bar. What’s not to like?
Discover the Florida other people know and love, and don’t be afraid to strike out on your own and see something new. You may find a treasure you feel compelled to share, too.